Can't Spend Enough in Amazon PPC

nevetsnevets
edited June 3 in Amazon SEO
Does anyone have a suggestion about increasing our reach of our amazon ppc ads?

Situation:
We are no where near hitting our daily ad budget. We spend on average 42-60% of the total daily budget. Its been this way for 60 days. We have increased our spend for some high converting keywords - but that hasn't capped us out.

Other than raising the daily budget even more not sure why we can invest more in amazon ppc?

Anybody solve this riddle?

----------------

Admin Edit: We recommend checking out Ad Badger for your Amazon PPC needs.
Steven Wagner
Tagged:

Best Answer

• SammySammy ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Why do you want to spend more? If you aren't spending as much as your budget then it just means there's not enough volume for the keywords you're targeting.

There's two options:
    Find new keywords or Increase your bids even more. I'd do both.

1.Finding more keywords to bid on..
    Have you ran an Automatic Campaign? If not, run one for 2 weeks and download the advertising report from Amazon.
    You should find some new keywords you weren't previously targeting that are converting well.

I'd then make individual campaigns around the highest converting keywords, with high bids so you get the top and bottom spot ad placement on the Amazon product page. Often these are longtails that no one else is bidding on so you get the clicks super cheap, and get multiple placements on the one page. Often these are competitors brands, or complimentary products.

2.Also enter all your main KW's into something like keywordtool.io or merchantwords.com and just make a new PPC campaign with every KW they give you - it will likely be 500+ KW's and just let it run for a while. Then do the same thing as you did with the Automatic campaign.
    You'll notice some KW's are winners that you weren't bidding on previously, then just trim the campaign of any that aren't getting impressions.

**Important** Once you've found new KW's that convert and you want to bid on,make sure you've got those keywords in your product description or bullets somewhere
    (Amazon's PPC algo will turn off a campaign if you don't have the KW's in your description as it's not 'relevent' even if if might be converting really well)

Hope that helps!

Answers

• Great comprehensive post. Thanks.
  • sammy said:

**Important** Once you've found new KW's that convert and you want to bid on,make sure you've got those keywords in your product description or bullets somewhere
    (Amazon's PPC algo will turn off a campaign if you don't have the KW's in your description as it's not 'relevent' even if if might be converting really well)

Hope that helps!

Didn't know this. Helpful. Thanks!
    Amazon e-tailer
  • Hi @sammy.

Question: If I have similar products - as in KWs are the same for a group of products, should the campaigns be for a group of similar ASINS? Or... do each product as a separate campaign?

Also, I have been running a autotarget campaign for over 6 months... downloaded KS report and had 1 KW hit 11 times, 1 x10 x 5 and then a load of ones - the 11 & 10 times hitters we most generic obvios KWs... so the reportproved no use at all...

Thoughts?
  • SammySammy ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Hi @constantine - Firstly I'm no expert on Amazon, I'm new to their PPC platform and still experimenting with it. My experience comes from running campaigns for my e-com brand using Adwords, Bing, Adroll, Fb etc. But I like playing with Amazon PPC so far..

With Amazon PPC I've found you need to cast the widest net possible and see what sticks. (unlike Google Adwords where you need to be laser focused and know the keywords with precision - unless you want to bleed money)

That said - I like to get granular in each campaign so I can see exactly how well each product /keyword combination converts. If there's any difference in the keywords needed on a product level, then I would break them down into separate campaigns.
    This depends though, is it small variation? Something larger? Is the effect different for one of the products compared to the other? Different Size / Colour/ Style?

Forget about your product for a minute. Start by thinking of it from the searchers perspective. What pains do they have that your product solves for them? You're targeting a group of people with a certain search intent and a problem / need / want that your product will hopefully solve for them. I've found buyers on Amazon search for the exact same product in many different ways:

Product name Eg: Leather jacket, Protein powder
    Brand name Eg: Sony, GoPro, Chanel, Onnit
    Desired outcomes Eg: Weight loss, hair regrowth, increased energy
    Age groups Eg: Kids, Teens, Adults, Old Fucks
    Demographics Eg: Ethnicity/Religion/Colour - Kosher, Halal, Suits a certain skin or hair type?
    Occasion Eg: Gifts for men, Kids Bday, Bucks parties, Wedding gifts Baby Shower, Seasons, Time of year
    FeaturesEg: Large, small, portable, potent, extra strength
    Size, Colour, Style

You get the Idea..
    When you see those vomit inducing keyword stuffed titles it's because people find the products through a lot of different search terms than the product name alone.

Once you've got the initial obvious Keywords going - the best thing you can do with Amazon pay per click is find the long tail keywords. They convert highly, are cheap to bid on and no one is bothering with them. I think Travis has a post on buying KW's, but that is more suited to Google in my opinion (educate me here for Amazon buying terms if I'm wrong @Travis_Jamison)
    So the more you can break down your campaigns into higher converting, ultra specific keywords the better.
    (Obviously there is a point where this becomes pointless. If you are selling 500 SKU's and only moving a few of each product per month, then all this wouldn't be worth the effort in terms of time and ROI)
    ---
    A picture speaks a thousand words so I'll show you one example in this Probiotic Brand
    This brand is smart - They essentially sell the same product - a Probiotic, but aimed at different markets and crush it on every level. Excellent execution.

They target by:
    Age & Sex: Kids, Men, Women
    Desired Effects: Relive Your Digestive Issues, Stops bad Breath, Promotes Health in Mom and Baby, Immune & Wellness, Oral & Dental Health
    Features: Natural & Sugar Free, Chewable, Easy to Swallow, Time Release Delivery
    Strength: Advanced Strength, Kids Strength
    Demographics: For Women Preparing to Conceive, Expecting or Nursing,
    Amount: Month Supply, 45 Day Supply, 60 day Supply

I don't know what their Amazon PPC campaign looks like, but I'd imagine each product has a very different campaign, targeting all those different features, and tons of keywords. In fact they've gone 5 steps further and built it into each product from the beginning.
    ----
    Also with your report not offering you any extra keywords, that's surprising. Mine show up with tons of random stuff.
    My advice up top might not apply to every product. If it's a specific physical product with only one use/purpose there may only be a few specific keywords that convert. I phone covers might be an example of this.
    But I'd be surprised if you can't find more. People search in heaps of ways, you just gotta find them. Good luck!
  • how do you know how much each of your key words are converting?
  • SammySammy ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @lenbittner Click on one of your campaigns then click on the keyword - it gives you their metric called ACOS. The lower the better.

It's not a conversion rate - but tells you how much you're spending per sale for each keyword as a %.
    Eg 33% ACOS is costing you $10 to make $30 revenue..

You could workout your conversion rate by keyword from the average cpc's though.
  • I'm using the automatic keywords selection by Amazon. As such, they don't tell me which key words were selected I guess. Maybe it's because I haven't generated and sales yet in 2-days--just started yesterday. Do you recommend that I slect my own keywords instead of automatic?
  • do both, and give 15 days to the automatic campaign before pausing it and generating the report
  • SammySammy ✭✭
    @lenbittner you can download the report from your automatic campaign for all the info and work out conversion rates