ranked position #1 on keyword but ZERO google stats?

Hey Everyone, I'm confused, that's not to difficult! How can one of my Keywords be showing Ranked as 1 yet the estimated amount of search Volume is showing 0 ( zero) under the ASIN ... likewise I have a " not in the top 300 ranking stat but its showing 5400 in Google estimated searches...

I'm not sure what this info is telling me moving forward?

I'm guessing it means the Amazon ranking of 1 means use this on super URL but when doing say PPC on google i would use the Key word with the highest estimated searches? HELP please ;-) thanks again sorry for these rookie questions.. Pete

Comments

• The keyword you are ranking number 1 for on Amazon gets searched Zero times per month on average according to the Google Keyword Tool. Google isn't Amazon, but you can make a good assumption that it also gets close to zero searches per month on Amazon

As no one is looking for this keyword, ranking no. 1 on Amazon for it won't help you at all.

It's best to do some keyword research first to find out the keywords that you want to target.

If you find they have no search volume, then there's no point ranking no 1 for them as naturally no one will be looking for them.

The 5400/month is probably a good target keyword to start with. At that number of searches it might not have too much competition and is attainable if you follow the guides on amztracker and use the review club for some sales with a super url.

But at the moment you don't rank in the first 20 pages of Amazon search results for that keyword - so either your product is brand new or there is clearly a problem with your listing if that is your target and you aren't showing at all for it.

Hope that helps
  • So Sammy, just for clarity... even though AMZ says a ranking if it has no estimated google search volume over a certain figure? disregard the Ranking yeah? and go for a Keyword with a higher ranking number maybe 34 with 5000 google volume over a 5 with Zero... did i understand you correctly? also you mention that 5400 google searches might not have too much competition and is attainable why is that? I dont understand why it probs wont have much competition? hope you dont mind me asking questions on the back of questions lol ...really appreciated Pete
  • Hey @Pete I'm probably as confused as you after that paragraph but I'll do my best haha

Q)"even though AMZ says a ranking if it has no estimated google search volume over a certain figure? disregard the Ranking yeah?"

A) No. Dont disregard the ranking. You are ranking in position 1 on AMAZON for that keyword. BUT: No one is searching for that keyword on GOOGLE.
    From this info you can make a good assumption that no one is searching for that keyword on Amazon also .

So for that keyword it's basically worthless in terms of bringing traffic and sales to your Amazon listing if no one is searching for it - still with me? ;)

-----

Q)"and go for a Keyword with a higher ranking number maybe 34 with 5000 google volume over a 5 with Zero... did i understand you correctly?"

A) Well if you are already ranking 34 for a target keyword, I think it would be a good place to start as it's currently at the top of page 3 - not too far off the 1st page on Amazon, which is where you want to be.

-----

Q)"also you mention that 5400 google searches might not have too much competition and is attainable why is that? I dont understand why it probs wont have much competition?"

A) Well 5400 searches isn't a huge volume for google in the USA for a product. So I'm guessing it is attainable without too much difficulty.

It depends on lots of things but to put it in perspective - stuff like weight loss pills, diet pills, some supplements get about 500k-1million searches per month on Google.
    So you can imagine the competition for those keywords compared to one with only 5400 - that's why I think its a decent place to start, especially as you're not too far from the first page already.

This is my assumption though - it might be a high priced item with heaps of competition. but judging by the fact you already rank at 34 for it.. it may be a good one to start with.
  • sammy you're a star ;-) thanks for going to so much effort to explain it's really appreciated its people like yourself that make a community like this VALUABLE.. Pete ;-)
  • @Sammy , thanks for the description on the keywords and search volume, it's very helpful.