Making a customer email list from Amazon buyers

SammySammy ✭✭
edited August 2015 in General
For those that make private label products under their own brand it's pretty common advice to build an email list of your Amazon customers through various methods.. mainly as Amazon isn't your own platform and it's a bit risky to have everything on one platform you don't control.
It also gives you a good list of previous buyers for when you launch new products to get verified reviews..

Anyone doing this?
What methods do you use - Inserts, email followups?

I know all of these are outside Amazon's tos to various degrees but it's very clear that a lot of sellers are doing it - some very brazenly.
Personally I'm very low risk tolerant when it comes to messing around with Amazon's rules - is there a white hat way to do this?

Comments

• One whitehat method is including a link to your facebook page in your follow up sequence with a call to action something like "follow us on facebook for exclusive discounts".

Then whenever you do a product launch or promo you can do a fb post and boost it to the entire audience. Not as good as an e-mail list, but low-risk for sure.
  • gobig said:

One whitehat method is including a link to your facebook page in your follow up sequence with a call to action something like "follow us on facebook for exclusive discounts".

Then whenever you do a product launch or promo you can do a fb post and boost it to the entire audience. Not as good as an e-mail list, but low-risk for sure.

It seems that Amazon specifically prohibits including facebook links on follow up emails :(

Response to similar question by Seller Support
  • I've seen a lot of sellers include a little card or paper slip that asks me to visit their website to sign up for a VIP club, or offers more products to review if I send them an email, etc. Personally, as a reviewer, I like that option because then I am in direct contact with the seller themselves and I'm not relying on a third party that screens through our messages, too.
  • I've gotten those myself as a buyer on Amazon. And we all know that if we did EVERYTHING according to Amazon rules we would never sell a damn thing. That said, I would not risk my clients' accounts by directing customers to visit any site outside of Amazon. Just my personal opinion.