Inventory Planning for Amazon Sellers - How much do sales increase over the holiday period?

SammySammy ✭✭
edited September 2015 in General
Question for Amazon sellers who have been around a few years.

I'm currently ordering inventory for Christmas sales and the busy Holiday period.
How much do your sales typically increase over the holiday periods on Amazon? (and what niche are you in)

Trying to plan inventory for Xmas/Holiday period but have no idea and don't want to run out of stock.
I sell consumables and they are very gift-able products.

Typically my eCommerce site's revenue is +50% for Dec and Jan compared to the November.

Also how much do the BIG promo days effect your sales numbers on Amazon - Black Friday, Cyber Monday, any others I'm missing?
Thanks!

Comments

• @Sammy, in my experience, sales went up 3-5 times over the holiday season. Basically you get a 20-30% boost in September, 50-70% boost in October, 100-120% in November and 300%+ in December... January numbers are close to November... that's my experience... it can be more or less depending on your sector/category... My items are very gift-able, so the difference is dramatic... If you are in health and beauty selling white label pharmaceuticals, the difference is there, but not as much... But generally speaking 60% of all retail sales are done during the holiday season - October, November, December... I think your forecast would be more accurate if you read up on general sales figures for your product category, because I believe that brick and mortar retail stats are a mirror of what is happening online... online growing and real stores shrinking... Just my 5 cents.
  • @constantine
    Thanks for the detailed answer - extremely helpful.
    Actually kind of daunting at the volume increase -Better adjust some of my orders

Thanks
  • As a health guy, I didn't see any kind of boost that I remember. Seemed unchanged.
  • It makes sense that health/vitamins are not going under the Christmas tree
  • @Travis_Jamison @constantine

Yeah not a xmas gift but no uptick in Jan though for all the healthy stuff? I aways get a ton in Jan due to New Year resolutions
  • As a health guy, I didn't see any kind of boost that I remember. Seemed unchanged.

I've heard that health products increase after new years, since a lot of people resolve to get fit.
  • To anyone, how much do you increase your product price during the holidays? It seems like around 15 to 20 percent?
  • Sammy said:

@Travis_Jamison @constantine

Yeah not a xmas gift but no uptick in Jan though for all the healthy stuff? I aways get a ton in Jan due to New Year resolutions

Maybe, but nothing noticeable either for me. I don't sling diet pills though, just normal health stuff. Otherwise I'm sure it would be a killer difference.
  • Yeah I dont push any weight loss angle at all - but still get a lot of new buyers searching for it and purchasing from those types searches.

Kind of funny, starts on Jan 1 til about the 15th then dies off...