A Reviewers point of view.

FenixFenix ✭✭
edited September 2015 in General
There have been a couple discussions on one of the reviewers forums I thought should come over here.

1) Bad Codes. They are rampant. I know that personally last week 50% of the codes I received were bad. The real shame is that at least two of the items were things that I actually really wanted (most of the things we get off here as reviewers are "this might be cool" type requests or "I'm trying to raise my rank so I'll play this game with you because I think we both know I'm not a Duggar and I don't need 15 phone cases" type of items) and as sellers you should really want to put things into our hands in those situations since you then know we are going to put more into our review of the product. We know that the codes are not your fault but when we take the time to email you and let you know there is an issue... you should probably reply. Just another reason you really should read your emails.

2) Ridiculously low discounts. As a seller, you are probably going to hate me for saying this but.... As reviewers, we don't actually NEED your product. Nobody actually NEEDS a silicon spoon rest or a pair of yoga pants that won't be delivered for 2 months, or an egg storage tray and even if they did, no one actually believes that the egg storage tray should cost $30. We come here because it's fun to get a bargain even if you don't need the item or because our delivery guy is hot and we like seeing him 4 times a week or we are just bored. You on the other hand are paying to be here because you need some help lighting the burners under your sales, and to have access to us amazing, enlightened, articulate and exceedingly special people (only half joking). You are even paying for the pleasure of our company (lets not go there). You need us to be willing to pay a couple bucks to try your product out and then put some effort into the review in return for you sacrificing early profit for the long term win. So with that in mind, 20% and 30% discounts are just wasting your time and ours. You have to list them here and keep checking back to see about requests and then try to figure out why there are none and we have to actually sift through all of those listings to get to ones where the discount on the item equals the value we have put on the time we will spend writing you a productive review. Stop the madness! Bite the bullet and make it a game we want to play with you. A report came out yesterday showing that consumers are already starting their Christmas shopping. We are ready to help you get your product into their view but you have to Help us to Help you.

Oh, and pay attention to who you are giving codes out to. Believe me, as reviewers, the two sentence reviews where one is the disclaimer and the other is either "this sucked" or "this is awesome" are as frustrating and embarrassing to us as they are to you. They make us all look bad but you can stop perpetuating them if you start reading a couple of the prior reviews of people applying. You are making an investment in them. You have to do a little research. I've noticed a few sellers asking on here how to make members leave reviews... knowing who your are giving the codes out to is probably the best way to do that. If you are paying attention to the person you send codes to and you are still not getting reviews you might want to send them an email and ask in a more personal, less form letter type of way if there was some type of problem with the product that you might be able to address since a lot of the hard core reviewers will choose to leave no review of an item that they don't feel they can honestly leave a positive review for.

Good luck and have a great day!

Comments

• I couldn't agree more.
  • I've complained about this before and had seller's tell me they only see this as a form of advertising, it's ridiculous.
  • @Zeta - it kind of is. But in advertising as in all things there are good ways of doing it (a decent product, big discount, lots of pieces put up to move them up in the ranks and increase their visibility) and bad ways (computer rendered jewelry valued at $100, listed at $10, worth $2) It's the difference between a Budweiser Super Bowl commercial and Joe's Truck-O-Rama midnight movie commercial. Doing it badly is not going to help them increase their search ranking which is the whole point of this program.

And for those for whom this place is actually their end game... well.... that kind of says everything you need to know about them.
  • Fenix said:

@Zeta - it kind of is. But in advertising as in all things there are good ways of doing it (a decent product, big discount, lots of pieces put up to move them up in the ranks and increase their visibility) and bad ways (computer rendered jewelry valued at $100, listed at $10, worth $2) It's the difference between a Budweiser Super Bowl commercial and Joe's Truck-O-Rama midnight movie commercial. Doing it badly is not going to help them increase their search ranking which is the whole point of this program.

And for those for whom this place is actually their end game... well.... that kind of says everything you need to know about them.

I can understand that but nobody signs up on this site and decides to drop 400 bucks on some untested new product on here for like 10 imaginary bucks off.
  • I, as a seller, do not understand other sellers what do a 40% off and wait for a line up of reviewers... all of my products are in the 85%+ off... because I am not here to make a buck on the reviewer, I am here to generate reviews and promote the products... So I do not get it... @Travis_Jamison: it may be (just may be) be a good idea to allow promotions with e.g. 60% off or higher only... nobody buy that stuff with a minor discount anyway, so it crowds the space and makes it harder to get through available products... Perhaps there is a reason for AMZ not to do that which I am not thinking of as I am not operating the service, so Travis and Eric know better... but this what it looks like from here...

Regarding non-working codes, my message to reviewers is that it is easy to make a mistake when generating codes... one incorrect option and codes will not work when other discount is applied (and free shipping with Prime is another discount)... Or it will be 1 per customer and if you get another item on the same order (from a different sale) the code will not work... But there must be either mistakes made by reviewers or errors in Amazon system... Just yesterday we ran a promotion and generated 200 codes... My assistant informed me that there was a complaint on a non-working code... I thought there was a mistake on our end... checked and double checked... nothing. Tried one of the codes personally on my own account - discount applied with no issues... and by the end of the day I could see that over 150 units were ordered via promotion... so either the buyer made a mistake, or perhaps lied or there was an error on Amazon system with just one code out of 200... And another thing: if there is a problem with codes and we want to correct it, it takes 4+ hours for us to generate new batch of codes and apply the promotion all over again... and if this is PM, my assistant that cakes care of this is gone for the day, so this moves to the following day - literally nothing I can do... but if you email (at least in our case), we will reply, apologize and email you a new working code when they are ready... Hope this shows reviewers our side of the story.

All the best,

Constantine
  • it may be (just may be) be a good idea to allow promotions with e.g. 60% off or higher only... nobody buy that stuff with a minor discount anyway, so it crowds the space and makes it harder to get through available products...
    Constantine

First off thank you for being a great seller! The seller's that are abusing this service work around that already though, unfortunately. Raising the price on their product in order to make the discount given, look better. Some even list their product as one price then upon approving reviewers raise the price. I agree on everything you said. Many GOOD reviewers are leaving the site because of the overwhelming amount of seller's using the site purely for advertising. Of course there are always more reviewers out there joining daily so it's not seen as a major issue perhaps. It's the most talked about subject in my group of 500+ reviewers/sellers.

Another way I have seen this all take place is some seller's make sure their products stay on a certain page. Such as the default loading page for "go shopping". So when you go to look through products you see the same products every time. Which also means that product is sent out all the time via the daily email sent by this site to reviewers of hot products expiring soon.

The only fix I can think of would be preventing seller's from editing most aspects of their listings on the site. Especially in the price fields. Instead having to create a whole new listing. The only way I can see this causing issues would be in the situations were a honest mistake happened and the seller having to re do everything. Maybe a listing clone option, which fills in the fields but allows editing, on the new listing would fix that inconvenience. I'm not sure as I'm not a seller. Preventing the changing of expiration date and vouchers status would be great as well, at least for reviewers and the reviews requested page. As of right now knowledgeable reviewers never remove a product from that page, if they still want the product. Both those things, voucher status and expiration date, are really meaningless at this time. Very few seller's don't edit those options at least once per product. Which is understandable as many seller's wait until the listing has expired to give out the voucher's and do so at intervals instead of all at once.
  • * Agreed on the fun factor vanishing. I'm not applying for much right now because I have a review backlog and unless something is really irresistible I'm holding off until I've caught up on reviewing. But when I do look through the site, I have the patience/time to wade through maybe 20-30 pages. Most times now it'll be that many pages of junk (meaning high priced items and low discount items) and maybe one page of decent priced items. Out of those decent priced, $1-2 items, maybe one or two I'll be interested personally in reviewing. So the interest in looking is really dropping off.

At the same time, my ranking has risen sharply on amazon (thanks 100% to AMZ and the good sellers here who have trusted me to review their products) which has led to me getting an average of three emails a day direct from sellers. I have only had two of them offer anything other than free to $1. So several of the new items I've taken on are not from AMZ at all.

* I've harped on this on another thread, but it bears repeating as it's still happening: Answer your email! Any other thing that's made this not a lot of fun recently is I got a whole wave (like six or seven!) problem products. They arrived dead, stopped working or broke within a week or two, didn't fit, smoke started coming out the bottom on first use, etc. ONE seller responded to my email. Granted, their response wasn't awesome (refunded my money and implied I was not to review the product ....makes me think the dead units are really common), but at least it's a response! These lack of responses are coming in several cases from sellers who ask right in the instructions to email them before reviewing if there is any problem.

* Please make it so your codes don't expire in a couple of days, don't select only one day when they'll be the right price, or say only one will be available per day. I've lost out on maybe five things I was approved for because of strangely narrowed windows like that. If I have to try more than once or twice to order, I'll usually give up. And I don't always have the ability to redeem a code instantly.

• I agree on not wanting to wade through things. Sometimes I want to spent $5 on items, but if I have to look through 15 pages of stuff to get there it isn't going to happen. I often don't even get all the way through the stuff offered for $1 when I go through by price. Which isn't fair to sellers who are selling their stuff at higher rate but for products that are actually worth it.

I've found myself wishing I could hide items I know I won't want to make it easier to look through the next time.
  • I too have recently noticed prices for items to review. That are more expensive on AMZ, than the live selling price on Amazon. After a quick search for the product on Amazon I see I can buy it direct for 'X' amount less.

In Terms of the inflated prices.
    Would there not be a way that the 'ASIN's on Amazon, could be linked in some way,
    to the sellers account here on AMZ

And then, Say if a product retailing on Amazon as $10/£10, with 90% off, here on AMZ, that would be $1/£1 for reviewing.
    Or I suppose, that the Amazon price too could be inflated.
  • Here's an idea -if a product sells for less on aliexpress that the seller is offering it for here, delete it from amz.
  • Isn't that where a lot of sellers get their stock from?
  • @Jesheckah Lynn Coffin - I doubt it. From what I have seen, AliExpress is more of a retail/small quantity direct sales outlet for manufacturers/wholesalers that are also members of the parent site. AliExpress is a decent entry level Etsy resource but most of the sellers here are way beyond them.