How did this guy jump to #1 spot overnight and stay there for over 2 weeks now with 9 reviews!?

edited October 2015 in General
So overnight this guy jumps to the top of a very competitive search term "menopause" and has not budged for over two weeks.
-He only has 9 reviews
-He doesnt have a description
-His bullet points are weak
-He only has 3 pictures

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Tobias-Hormonal-Menopause-Capsules/dp/B010FX50GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443808228&sr=8-1&keywords=menopause

Comments

• He has over 4000 seller ratings and is at 100% positive 4.9 stars. So that product may not have the reviews, but the seller and the sellers other products do.
  • I dont understand. I thought it all had to do with optimizing the product page...
  • Where can I find information about sell ranking and other sell products affecting a different product rank?
  • It has to do with two main things:
    1) Optimization of the product page
    2) Sales. Sales are what matter, not reviews.

Also, this brand most likely has some bonus "platinum keywords" and what-not from Amazon.
    Hey Everyone, full of both happiness and sadness I have moved on from AMZ Tracker. If you need anything hit up Support@AMZtracker.com for help.
    Thanks!

Travis Jamison Supremacy SEO's Link Building Service

• Any evidence seller feedback stat's effect ranking directly for new products? I've heard it before from a couple people. It wouldn't surprise me..... But I think it's an indirect thing.

eg: A seller with 4000+ 5 star feedback in competitive niches obviously knows what they are doing on Amazon better than most people, and can rank their products quicker than someone new to this...
  • these guys have a huge customer list to launch to. they probably released the product, hit their list with a super url optimized for that keyword, and voila!
  • @Travis_Jamison Can you explain Platinum Keywords and how to obtain them?
  • ceilos456 said:

@Travis_Jamison Can you explain Platinum Keywords and how to obtain them?

Unfortunately you can probably never get access to this. These are for huge power sellers that Amazon personally invites.
    Hey Everyone, full of both happiness and sadness I have moved on from AMZ Tracker. If you need anything hit up Support@AMZtracker.com for help.
    Thanks!

Travis Jamison Supremacy SEO's Link Building Service

• There is something we are missing and if we knew it, it would be huge. Could it be some kind of hack or a backend tampering like having fake accounts add to the wish list?
  • I don't think sales is the contributing factor for this listing. I realize that their product have been popping up at competitive niche with close to zero reviews and insignificant BSR.

I'm wondering if they have already 'crack' the system
  • It's barely sold at all since ranking for these keywords anyway.
    I know nothing about the niche, but it doesn't seem that competitive if the top ranking listing sells so little..
  • So no one can figure it out :(
  • The same seller went straight to the top of one of my niches as well (it is an extremely competitive niche, with most of us in the top results selling 30-200 a day). I think the Platinum keyword suggestion is correct. It has absolutely nothing to do with giveaways or optimization (I haven't seen their BSR go below 50,000). They might have the top spot for one keyword, but that doesn't necessarily translate into sales.
  • addecusaddecus
    edited October 2015
    This company jumped to the top of our niche as well!

This guy has INDEED "cracked the system."

I believe he is sending thousands of fake impressions to his listings weekly if not daily.

Here's why I believe that... Anyone else (Travis J.) please feel free to jump in on this idea.

I set up a "Product Display Ad" for my product on one of his product pages. This type of ad usually only displays around 10% of the time BUT my ad got over 27,000 impressions with ONLY 4 clicks in a 30 day period. That is a CTR of 0.015% !!! Normally my CTR for these types of ads is 0.10%.
  • addecus said:

This company jumped to the top of our niche as well!

This guy has INDEED "cracked the system."

I believe he is sending thousands of fake impressions to his listings weekly if not daily.

Here's why I believe that... Anyone else (Travis J.) please feel free to jump in on this idea.

I set up a "Product Display Ad" for my product on one of his product pages. This type of ad usually only displays around 10% of the time BUT my ad got over 27,000 impressions with ONLY 4 clicks in a 30 day period. That is a CTR of 0.015% !!! Normally my CTR for these types of ads is 0.10%.

That's an interesting result. I doubt fake impressions are helping him rank, though. I actually thought that some of my competitors were sending fake impressions to my page a while back in order to lower my conversion rate (my daily impressions doubled over night, and my sales stayed the same, resulting in a 50% drop in conversion rate). I got in touch with a few people at Amazon regarding this, and I was assured that impressions actually have no bearing on the ranking algorithm. Conversion rate (the unit session percentage that you see in Business Reports) also doesn't make a difference. Accordingly, the extra impressions made no difference to my ranking at all.

I think this particular seller's ranking is a combination of being around for a very long time, having an enormous amount of feedback, and also having Platinum keywords. Might be a few other things, too.
  • Hi Duckmandrake,

That is very interesting. Thank you for your insight!

It is strange how he is literally #1 for every KW he "shoots" for...on ALL of his products.

One day we noticed that for a particular KW he was nowhere to be seen on the top 20 pages and we jumped to #1 from #5. The next day, he was back at #1 and we went back to #5. Almost as if he removed the term from his Platinum KW section for a day or so and then put it back??

I have never known anyone who used Platinum KWs in this way. I always thought those were leftover fields from Amazon's "legacy system" that are no longer utilized by sellers on Amazon.