Super URL's no longer working

Hi everyone,

Super URL's don't appear to help keyword rankings anymore. Here's my experience.

Launched my first product last month. Used Amztracker's super URL along with some giveaways.

This boosted my ranking from oblivion onto 2nd page for my primary keywords. Everything was great and consistent sales were coming in. Then ran out-of-stock! For three whole days. Now product is on page 3 and slipping.

So decided to drip some more giveaways with the use of a super url. Same process and nothing much changed. BSR has improved significantly but still stuck on page 3 and primary keywords have not budged. It's been several days and was thinking what has changed?

So I decided to give away a few more units, remove the super url and instead provide my own instructions to the reviewers. E.g. search for "X" and purchase product on page 3. Surprisingly, after 3 sales, product is now back on page 2 for that keyword. What a relief!

Anybody else experience this?

Comments

• As far as I'm aware Amazon is onto the use of so-called superurls and has stopped them from working. I saw a webinar from teikametrics a while back and they explicitly stated this (not affiliated with them in any way, they have an excellent blog) Even though the follow thru and explanation is more difficult, having customers search for your product is a better solution.
  • Devoured said:

As far as I'm aware Amazon is onto the use of so-called superurls and has stopped them from working. I saw a webinar from teikametrics a while back and they explicitly stated this (not affiliated with them in any way, they have an excellent blog) Even though the follow thru and explanation is more difficult, having customers search for your product is a better solution.

About how long ago was this webinar?

Anyway, I can confirm from experience as well. Gave away A LOT of my product and targeted a specific keyword. I actually fell off the map (under 300) for the keyword after a few days. I wish there is some type of announcement here so that people can be informed before they try to use it.
  • Super URL and ranking working just fine here...
  • Same with me @constantine, they seem to be working just fine. But i keep hearing a lot of people who aren't sure. I'm trying to do some better testing right now to give a more solid answer.

@loops77 When you were using the super url were you using several keywords as we recommend or only 1?
    Hey Everyone, full of both happiness and sadness I have moved on from AMZ Tracker. If you need anything hit up Support@AMZtracker.com for help.
    Thanks!

Travis Jamison Supremacy SEO's Link Building Service

• I find what works best so far is using a blanket approach with 5+ keywords... seeing what starts ranking faster and continuing the campaign on those who brought results first... It also depends on the marketing war-chest on the item... If you only have 50 units to give away in stock, you can't aim for high volume keywords - it is not enough... but you still need reviews to get some sales, so might as well target keywords where you can make a dent and start sales coming in... just IMO
  • I used 3 keywords, but gave away more for a particular keyword. Nearly 200 units for that keyword and 100 between the other two. all within the same day. One keyword stayed at 150, the other stayed at 80..the one I targeted dropped below 300 after 5 days.

I'm going to try manual search and see what happens.
  • The blanket approach works, but its simply because you are making sales..not because of the super url as far as I can see. I mean, have you gotten to page one with a recent promo on any of those keywords you targeted?
  • loops77, how old is your listing?
  • We are doing promos on daily basis... dozens of products... super url and ranking works... 100%
  • @constantine How competitive are the KW's you're targeting?

I agree it still works just well - mainly for long tails - but any competitive term in my niche is so saturated these days and I don't notice much benefit at all for larger terms.

Keep in mind this is trying to get from positions 5-10 to top 5.

Also I find my niche has kind of consolidated - the top 10 dont change much at all and my guess is it's based on the longer term sales of all the established products. I don't think promo's have much of a benefit when the comp is all selling large amounts organically anyway.
  • I was testing super url for the last 5 days on a new listing (5 long tail keywords) and can confirm that it doesn't work anymore. Instead of going up the ranking you get slapped down for those keywords...
  • constantineconstantine ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @Sammy : My keywords are not super competitive I suppose... But I can see results - definitely...

I think part of the reason some do not see results is that many are doing this at the same time... You handed out 100 units and another 5 competitors did the same... so you stayed where you were or moved down, if competition did more... may be the formula got tweaked to decrease the effect of short term bursts...

I think the point is that ranking is affected by keywords... so perhaps the strategy need to change... dripping smaller amounts of units over a longer period of time, spreading Super URL among many relevant keywords... I think this is why what @Travis_Jamison says about using multiple keywords per promotion works better than concentrating on a single keyword.... Basically emulate the natural process as accurately as possible, because Amazon NEEDS to rely on what buyers are looking for to rank the products... Also, you still need those reviews for conversion, so at the very least this is not a complete waste of products... Push comes to shove, you will have to work more closely with reviewers... find ones that will perhaps actually enter keywords into the search... or perhaps use reviewers with no exposure to mass promotions etc... Something that works will come up...
  • @constantine

Yeah agreed on the if everyone is doing promotions then you won't see any benefit, that's kind of my point - for semi competitive terms everyone has done/is doing so many giveaways so you don't have any advantage over the others.

I've actually stopped all giveaways for over a month now on all my products... haven't noticed any significant drop in rankings.

A few of my biggest terms bounce around from positions 5-8 that were a bit higher higher in the past - but I don't think the ROI on give aways is there for me anymore. Moving up 1-2 spots through promotions isn't worth the cost.

I'm selling a more premium product in my category - so I can't match the volume of some of the cheaper options that must convert better.

Also a bit hesitant about Amazon's plans regarding review groups these days so am waiting to see some clarity there.