Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon removing verified purchase status for discounted reviews

The badges had been removed from older reviews first, encompassing those written as recently as mid-to-late September. Newer reviews are currently unaffected, but I guess its just a matter of time before they are removed.

Comments

• Good question. Strange that nobody noticed this yet. This is serious problem as my conversion rate dropped around 4% after this happened...

You can read more about it here:
    http://ruhamama.com/amazon-removing-verified-purchase-badge-on-review-items/

Two things I would like to know.

1. What do they consider a large discount?
    2. What if a reviewer buys my product second time for the full price, will I get back "verified purchase" badge for that review? Because it is a pity as some of those review was voted as most helpful and now they lost "verified purchase" badge:/

Personally i think this is a bit of a game changer for review clubs..

• I would say its huge game changer - so far there is no "buzz" about this change
  • We can confirm that it is happening some. Doesn't seem to have changed much of anything though fortunately. Just that "verified" badge went away, but everything else (including the most important part which is rankings) is still just the same.
  • Many reviewers post images... product image in "real" setting from a reviewer does more than "verified" badge... not from the point of SEO perhaps, but from the point of buyer trust... so my advice would be to request reviewers to post a product image to counteract this effect...
  • I'm a bit concerned by it. About 80 verified Review Club reviews on one of my new products changed to unverified recently. I'm wondering if they'll all change soon. Verified reviews are VERY heavily weighted now (unverified reviews mean almost nothing in terms of your overall rating). It's going to make every verified one star review pretty damaging.
  • @duckmandrake It really doesn't even matter much. Rankings are a factor of sales and keyword optimization, reviews are such a small part of the algorithm (if they even are at all). The star rating will stay the same as well.

• When did this actually kick in and has anyone noticed any difference in sales?

My sales for the last week have had a huge dip of about 40% and I just cannot fathom why. Negligible change in rankings and hardly any other changes bit the dip has been huge.

Any ideas?
  • When did this actually kick in and has anyone noticed any difference in sales?

My sales for the last week have had a huge dip of about 40% and I just cannot fathom why. Negligible change in rankings and hardly any other changes bit the dip has been huge.

Any ideas?

It's just that time of year. Pretty normal thing with people traveling, holidays, etc. 40% is pretty extreme though, but I can't imagine this would have anything do to with reviews.

Any ideas?

It's just that time of year. Pretty normal thing with people traveling, holidays, etc. 40% is pretty extreme though, but I can't imagine this would have anything do to with reviews.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it's actually a bit less than the 40% I originally thought