Keyword Ranking vs Category Ranking - Please help me understand the difference

Hi all,

Can someone please explain the difference between keyword ranking and category ranking?

I understand the end impact of keyword ranking (Ex being ranked 10 for 'shirt' will make your product show up as the 10th listing when someone searches 'Shirt' on Amazon), but am having difficulty understanding the difference between keyword ranking and product sales rank.

I understand that sales ranking is mostly driven off of sales.

I'm struggling with keyword ranking though.

If your sales rank is 100 in clothing, and 50 of the products with a better sales rank than your product also have the keyword 'shirt', does this mean you should have a keyword rank of 51 for they keyword 'shirt'?

It seems like there are other things going on. I see products that have a better sales rank for a category but a worse keyword ranking when comparing to another product with worse sales rank for a category but better keyword rankings (for obvious keywords for the products in question)

--

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!

-DHCT

Answers

• BSR /Sales Rank is just a snapshot of average sales compared to everyone else in your category for the last few days. It updates hourly I think, but it takes into account a few days of sales.

If you run out of a product you can still be the 'best seller' for a few days as it's an average.

It has no direct correlation to ranking for keywords. But naturally a high selling product will rank well in search and achieve a Low BSR from the sales... and keep ranking because of all the sales... keeping the low BSR...

In short - it's mostly meaningless and just for vanity. All It does is give you a picture of what products are selling more than others at the moment.
  • @Sammy Thanks very much for your response. So I guess my question is:

Is the sole determinant for keyword ranking the amount of sales when the given keywords are searched for (why the superURL tool is so useful)?
  • I've found it to be a big factor. All things being equal the better selling product will outrank the lesser selling product.
  • Does anyone else have any input on this topic?
  • I still am hoping to receive some sort of answer..

@Travis_Jamison - don't suppose you can help me out here?

My BSR is lower (better) than some products, yet they have MUCH lower (better) keyword rankings than me.
    I'm using my superurl with only a single keyword phrase to try to get some traction there, and even that one is still over 300.

What else impacts keyword rankings? Thanks very much in advance.
  • bump!
  • @DHCT
    1. Read the awesome guides on AMZtracker about Amazon seo
    2. Sign up for the the SEO Crash Course. These were a great help for me and answer all your questions.
    3. Google 'How to rank on Amazon' or similar and read a few articles. Then you'll probably know more than 99% of Amazon sellers.

From my experience:
    Sales from a superurl is one important factor for ranking your product in Amazon, but not the only one.

If you're just starting out I would:
    - Target more than one keyword with the super url - 2-4 keywords at a time works for me.
    - Target easier keywords so you rank for something, anything... and start getting organic sales from various combinations of keywords in your niche. This will help as ultimately organic sales are what matter more for rankings in the long term. I'd rather rank for 100's of smaller terms than 1 big one. By that stage you probably will be ranking for the bigger ones anyway.
    - Once you rank for some lower competition keywords, are getting some natural organic sales, then start aiming for the harder keywords with the super url, while still targeting a few diffferent variations.
    - This all assumes you've got a good better product than your competition and everyy part of your listing is optimized...

There's some great guides on all this that are extremely useful. I'm sure Travis or support can link them here..
  • @Travis_Jamison

That would be great if he could let me know what guides cover this. I'm well versed from reading the guides about how keyword rankings, and BSR are different, and how keyword rankings can be improved (via SuperURLs)...

However, I am still looking for some definitive information on what else impacts keyword rankings, as my BSR seems way easier to manipulate when compared to keyword rankings
  • SammySammy ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    You seem beyond help, I'd quit now
  • Sammy, while I appreciate your attempt to answer my question, your responses did not give me anything I was not already aware of. You haven't answered my question, and I'm hoping someone else can. If you don't have anything to provide, please move on.

I am still looking for some definitive information on what else impacts keyword rankings other than sales and conversion rates when the product is visited via superURL (or found via true search), as my BSR seems way easier to manipulate when compared to keyword rankings.

I often jump ahead of other similar products in BSR while every single one of my sales is targeting a single keyword, This tells me that something else is impacting keyword rankings beyond sales and conversion rates for the given keyword search terms, for obvious reasons.

Maybe there is a longer time range taken into account for keyword rankings?
    Maybe other factors come into play such a FBA, pricing, shipping options?
    Maybe keyword rankings lag enough to where you need to maintain a BSR for a solid week or so in order for the keyword rankings to 'catch up'?

I appreciate any fruther insight on this topic.
  • SammySammy ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Maybe keyword rankings lag enough to where you need to maintain a BSR for a solid week or so in order for the keyword rankings to 'catch up'?

bsr has zero direct relationship to keyword rankings, one doesn't effect the other.
  • I understand there is no direct relationship.

Here is my question as sated above:

"what else impacts keyword rankings other than sales and conversion rates when the product is visited via superURL (or found via true search), as my BSR seems way easier to manipulate when compared to keyword rankings. "