Sales Rank (up and down) and Keywords tracking

Hey guys,

I am a new Amazon PL seller, recently started using AMZTracker to track my Sales Rank as well as ranking against keywords. Here are my 2 questions for ya:

1. Sales Rank for couple of my products is jumping up and down. So one day it goes +1000 and another day -1500. I don't seem to be able to see the logic.
2. I am watching my Keywords rankings as well. Sometime again they go up and the other day they go down.

What influences those two metrics and how can I get control over it if at all possible?

Thank you.

Regards,

Denis

Comments

• Hi Denis,

I think Sales Rank can be compared to the demand on a product. The closer it is to 1 means the product is in current high demand based on how much has RECENTLY been sold compared to other items in the same category. It also takes into account historical sales data, meaning a product that comes into a category and suddenly spikes in sales won’t immediately jump high up, as it has no historical data of constant, good sales. As Amazon states, this number can be calculated hourly.

Sales Rank is also based on actual sales, not reviews or ratings (though those are great to attract buyers, thus getting those sales up!). Again, a ranking won’t jump up because of total sales, but rather on how it’s been doing recently as compared to other products in its category. To increase that rank, your product in question must sell more units than other products in your category. Even if your category gets suddenly very popular, vitamins and dietary supplements for example, if you’re trying to sell Magnesium, you’d need to be selling more as compared to all other various vitamins and dietary supplements to get that ranking up.

On top of that, Amazon’s algorithm looks at historical data of a product, so if your product is shooting up one day and suddenly slowing down, it could be because the other constantly top ranking products have long historical data to back up their reputation. It can’t suddenly break out on top of those products. On top of that, a quick sales spike followed by slow sales will make that ranking drop very quickly. Amazon is regularly checking the sales of that item against other items in its category, so that irregularity spike won’t make the sales rank stay high for very long.

Your keywords won’t directly impact the sales rank, but if they’re better and constantly searched for, customers will have a greater chance of finding your item. If they find it, they might buy it, and if they buy it, the sales rank of that item will jump up.

Amazon says “Search is the primary way that customers use to locate products on Amazon.com. Customers search by entering keywords, which are matched against the search terms you enter for a product. Well-chosen search terms increase a product's visibility and sales. The number of views for a product detail page can increase significantly by adding just one additional search term - if it's a relevant and compelling term.” Since search is the primary way customers locate products, it’s important to focus on how select keywords will list yourself on those searches.

Amazon’s title field is also special. It’s huge. 500 characters huge. They also suggest adding as many keywords as relevantly possible into that field. The traditional way of thought about SEOs might make you want to be specific, relevant, and make every word count in a small space to get higher up on the keyword ranking. Here on Amazon, it seems as if really packing as many keywords as you can into the product title, bullet points, and keyword field are very helpful. Take for example searching for “Sony a6000 charging cable.”

This product was way down the search rankings. It’s a charging cable, and the title explains it, but it’s short.

This product is shown at the top. The title is long, but it tells you in the title and bullet points exactly what brand and models it fits. Keywords are just packed into this thing.

Making full use of that 500 character product title and using all of the bullet points given (no need to duplicate keywords in the title and bullet points area. If you’ve entered it once, that’s enough) as well as the keyword field could help boost your keyword ranking metrics. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Cornelius