Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad seller practices....

edited October 2015 in General
Reviewer here...
A while back, I reviewed a product and gave it one star, because honestly, it deserved it. It came with no instructions (and it was a product that required instructions), I only got 2 in what was advertised as a 3-pack, and it came in a plastic bag instead of the nice packaging in the picture. Oh, and I got no response from the seller after 2 weeks and 3 emails. So I posted my one-star review, and overnight, I got 10 "not helpful" votes on that review. (Which dropped my Helpfulness rating to 38%. Nice.) I went back and looked, and all the other reviews that only had one or two stars had the same number of "not helpful" votes. Well, I deleted that review and posted it, with the exact same wording, as a 5-star review, with the intention of going back in and removing stars later (no, not my proudest moment :( ). I got 14 helpful votes the next day. So I went back and removed stars, and got another 15 not helpful votes the same day. (Forgive me, I was freaked out about my rating, but I felt like people still needed to see what I had to say. I've never done that before or since.)

Out of curiosity, I checked other products by the same seller, and it's the same across the board; all one and two star reviews got somewhere between 10 and 20 not helpful votes, if not more. I'd let it go, but I've seen a few more of their products on here in the past few days, I thought I should point it out.

Comments

• Firstly please note that a few months ago Amazon sent emails out to many reviewers telling that deleting and reposting a review was considered "manipulation" as you were essentially deliberately avoiding votes that you didn't want. They warned that doing it could result in permanent review deletions, or even account wipes. So don't ever repost your review if you delete it again.

Secondly this is not that uncommon. Sellers seem to think they are buying 5* reviews sometimes. The word "honest" has been corrupted, or maybe they did not understand the concept in the first place. Anything less than 5 stars can get downvotes - but if you report these to Amazon and they can see a campaign going on against the negative reviews on an item, they will remove them. It might take a month or two, but one day you will find them gone and the seller risks losing their account if it can be tied to them.

In the meantime I know it tanks your rating and is frustrating. As you write more reviews and get more helpfuls though the % that this affects you will be minimal. I recently had a 20 downvote campaign from a dodgy seller that only moved me down 1% so it does get better. The seller is hoping you will delete the review, and not repost it because of Amazon's warning about that. If you do this, you reward the seller for being a dishonest jerk, and you punish the customers who are now going to spend money on an item with only fake reviews. The funny part is that these STUPID sellers do not realize that by only having fake reviews, they create false expectations, and that the buyer is more likely to leave a negative review themselves, or file a return. If multiple returns are filed due to low quality, Amazon will actually ban that item from the seller. So short term they might make a few bucks, long term they damage themselves.

At some point as reviewers we all have to decide what is more important to us - our personal ranking and getting more free stuff? Or actually being known for writing honest reviews and helping the customers make informed purchases. If it's the second, sometimes you have to just bear the rating tank until Amazon deletes the fake not helpfuls.
  • Christy said:

Firstly please note that a few months ago Amazon sent emails out to many reviewers telling that deleting and reposting a review was considered "manipulation" as you were essentially deliberately avoiding votes that you didn't want. They warned that doing it could result in permanent review deletions, or even account wipes. So don't ever repost your review if you delete it again.

Thank you(!!!) for setting me straight, I wasn't aware of that policy. At the time, I just didn't want to miss out on review opportunities because one vindictive dirtbag couldn't handle the fact that he/she/they couldn't hold up their end of the sale. After reading some of the threads on this forum though, I see that sellers don't always focus on that rating when choosing reviewers, so I'm not AS concerned as I was. I wish I'd thought of returning the thing before the time ran out!

Since I put all the time and research in, I think I'll just go ahead and send all that in to Amazon, and hope something gets done about it! But you're right, I'd much rather write an honest review and have someone get irked about it than sell out and just write what they want to hear. That's not what I signed up for :smile:
  • I think the honest sellers can spot the corrupt ones from a mile away, I don't think they will hold it against you.
  • I think I just got hit by the same seller's shady practices. Woke up this morning to a sub 50% ranking thanks to them.
  • Would you be comfortable naming the piece of crap seller?
  • Depends if it's going to get me in trouble lol

@Christy, @Tina_Goff, any input there?
  • @quirkybeeper No idea honestly. I don't mind calling people on their bull here in the forums if they are here participating too, but I'm not sure if I would call out a seller in here if they aren't here to try and speak for themselves or try to explain. HOWEVER, if you use reddit there is a reddit forum called ProductTesting where reviewers hang out and compare notes, good and bad experiences and frustrations. AMZrt has someone who has become active over there and they have been posting all the new lists of changes over there too.

So if you feel you need to share a product name or warn anyone you may want to do it over there.
  • That item I reviewed and got around 30 downvotes for was just relisted by the seller. How do I report them? I've sent emails to [email protected] several times in the past and have never gotten a response. I want to make sure someone is paying attention to this seller.